Lunt Engineering and our affiliate, APM Telescopes, believe that there is a need for a customizable, yet obtainable observatory class telescope system that can be scaled to the requirements of a variety of clients, from private individuals to organizations involved in astronomical research.
With this belief in mind, Lunt Engineering has designed a meter class telescope package that is scalable up to two meters with minimal changes in the specifications. Each system allows for customization in optics, mechanics, or interface to meet budgetary needs as well as unique specification requirements.
Although providing a world class telescope package is important, we’ve found that “ground floor” observatory consultation/design is equally as important as the telescope it will house. Lunt Engineering’s consultants work with clients, architects, engineers and facilities personnel to ensure that functional and cost effective science buildings/observatories are realized.
What follows is the optical, mechanical and technical aspects of our world class, 1 meter telescope, designed and manufactured by Lunt Engineering and affiliates:
Email an Observatory Consultant Today!
- Ritchey-Chretien (RC)
- LOMO Optics (Sitall)
- System effective focal ratio of f/8; f/3 primary focal ratio (custom optics are also available based on specific end user needs)
- Tertiary mirror for Nasmyth Focus
- Fully multi-coated field corrector for 100mm field diameter
- Delivered system wave front error of <1/6th peak to valley and <1/15 RMS at 630nm. Interferometry test provided to end user when optics are completed
- Optimized for a range of 350-900nm with reflectance of at least 85% on each mirror.
- Aluminum coated mirrors with protection (including tertiary mirror) Removal optional with FC13 or Potassium
- All refractive elements are coated with multilayer-AR coatings with R<0.5% for 400-700nm and R<1% for 400nm to 1000nm per surface.
Optical Tube System
- Truss Tube
- Lasalle main mirror support
- Two stage Nasmyth Focal points with adjustable tertiary mirror and image de-rotator with 1” Renishaw encoders
- Calibration switch for de-rotators
- Computer controlled focusing with <1µ readout accuracy
- Main mirror cover computer controlled
- Provisions are included to facilitate easy and safe removal of the mirrors for cleaning, including tertiary mirrors
- Light shielding included to remove stray light directed towards the research equipment
Mounting System & Control Software
- Alt-Az (Equatorial mount available upon request)
- Direct Drive torque motors with 400nm torque
- 20° per second minimum slew rate in Azimuth
- 20° per second minimum slew rate in Altitude
- Renishaw Encoders with 0.01” encoder readout on both axis
- Eigen frequency above 10hz
- Industrial PC with hardware preinstalled allowing complete integration of equipment
- Open source observatory control and automation software
- Adjustable Hardware and software limit switches
Typical 12 Month Project Flow Chart